How to be a Fitter, Stronger and Healthier Surferby David Sautter & Troy Adashun – Easy Surfing Fitness
We have personally trained hundreds of surfers to date. In the process, we have learned and tested the most efficient, proven, and tested methods to lose fat, have a strong and lean body, improve your surfing, and increase time spent in the water by getting fitter and following the easy steps outlined below.
1. It all starts with what you eat. The fuel you are putting into your body during surf fitness training day in and day out, determines how you feel and how well you can perform. If 50% of your diet consists of natural and water-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, and sprouts and the other 50% is lean protein and complex carbs, you are on your way to feeling great and performing at your peak.
2. Core strength is essential. The more developed your core is, the better you will be able to rotate your hips for a bottom turn/snap/cutback, handle a big wave, duck dive, and paddle out in the line-up. In almost every surfing movement, your abdominals are directly or indirectly worked.
3. Increase your paddle power. You and I know that a surfer spends most of the time in water paddling. It is often through big sets or whitewash – especially if you get caught on the inside. Not only for your enjoyment but mainly for your SAFETY, you need to be able to paddle out of those tough spots with speed.
How to increase paddling power
Effective paddling exercises target your shoulders, lats, arms, and core and challenge your stamina to make you a strong paddler. With that level of fitness, you can be confident that you can go out there and have fun, even in rough conditions.
Examples of such exercises are Freestyle swimming, Floor Y/T/A raises, Rear lateral raise, Barbell push/press, Plank dumbbell row, Upright rows or Wall sits with shoulder twist.
4. High-intensity cardio and weights training increases your stamina. Training for a sport as dynamic as surfing, your #1 priority is to be able to react to changing conditions and be able to generate quick bursts of energy and power. Countless hours on the treadmill will not give you the stamina and strength that you need in water.
How to get really fit if I only have 20-30 minutes a day
High-intensity cardio and weight training has 3 advantages: Builds your total body strength and stamina, saves you time (trainings are shorter & more efficient) and burns fat FAST.
The key to results with High Intensity Cardio Training is that you are never at full rest. In between the main exercise, you do another form of lighter cardio. For example: 5 x 30-second running interval at 80% speed with 5 x 20 double-leg box jumps in between.
5. You don’t need gym strength as much as you need functional strength. The difference in the two is its functionality in real life: performing a biceps curl or having an impressive one-rep bench press record is good for the gym, but as a surfer you predominately want to tailor your trainings for a day out in water (or a snow-covered mountain, swim, etc.)
Functional exercises improve your stability and include a lot of rotational movements, incorporating a number of muscle groups and joints at once and giving you explosive power. In your body, nothing works in isolation. Everything is connected.
6. Focus on muscle endurance, not volume. Very strong and bulky muscles will not necessarily give you the muscular endurance that is required for a strenuous day out in the waves. If you took a huge weightlifter out surfing, you would find that they tire quickly.
As a surfer, you want to be ready for long paddles through sets, followed by quick bursts of speed as you frantically paddle to catch the wave, pop up, and ride. For this type of activity, the size and thickness of your biceps or how much you can bench-press, is irrelevant.
7. Perform simple body-weight exercises. Many people are under the false assumption that they need fancy gym equipment and high-tech machines to unlock their body potential. This could not be further from the truth. Most of this myth has been developed over time due to marketing, and, therefore, bodyweight exercises have become extremely overlooked by our current culture.
Do I need gym equipment for surf fitness training?
Bodyweight exercise directly transfers to surfing movement better than weight room exercise and high-tech gym equipment. These exercises will also keep you safe from the many chronic injuries that come with heavy weight lifting and unnatural motions that weight machines have. You always want to focus on body-weight exercises such as variations of planks, press-ups, squats, etc.
Therefore, you don’t need fancy gym equipment or an expensive membership to be a really fit surfer. All you really need is a fitball, some weights, BOSU and foam roller – and a high-quality surf fitness program!
8. Importance of solid pre- and post-workout routine. Your body needs some time to stretch and get the blood flowing into key muscle groups before you can exert maximum energy. You always need to start with a 3+ minute warm-up (skipping rope, arm swings, light jog, etc.) before you start stretching, followed by a dynamic stretching routine to increase your overall flexibility and mobility.
Lastly, it is vital to foam-roll your muscles at least once a day, preferably after a tough, long training session.
9. Consistency Is the Key. Your body responds better if you make a series of positive changes over time, rather than a massive turn from one day to another. Our clients that made the biggest progress were the ones that weren’t the fittest to start with, but they were definitely most consistent. Those that stuck to 3-4 trainings per week and made wise diet and lifestyle choices saw great results within 2-3 months. There are many programs out there. Once you make a decision, stick to it and be consistent for the best results.
The PRO Surfing Fitness Blueprint
We have compiled our whole surfing fitness pro secrets blueprint in one easy place.
Well, if any this sounds good to you, we’d love to share more with you and invite you to become a VIP member.
How does it work?
Now, this program is not free, but consider how much this small investment can improve your surfing and your life in general. For a price of less than one pair of new board shorts, you will feel more energy, feel more power and will enjoy your surf sessions on a much bigger scale. Whether you are preparing for your yearly surf trip and want to be in the best shape of your life or you are looking for a great dry workout in between the surf session, we give you a guarantee that this will be one of the best investments in your surfing you will ever make.
Ask yourself how much is your surfing and your health worth to you and if this small investment can change the way you surf and live.
Look like a PRO Surfer
Perform like a PRO Surfer
Feel like a PRO Surfer
Get Instant Access to the PRO Surfer Body Blueprint
CLICK HERE for Direct Download >>
PRO Surfer Body Blueprint Includes
- Body Like a Surf Pro ($49 Value)
- Easy Surfing Fitness Stage 1 ($99 Value)
- Easy Surfing Fitness Stage 2 ($99 Value)
- Easy Surfing Fitness Stage 3 ($99 Value)
Bonuses – available only to the First 100 Downloads! First Come First Serve Basis
(limited time offer)
- Cardio Workout for Surfers ($49 Value)
- Surfer Specific Core Training Workouts ($29 Value)
- Foam Rolling and Tendon Stretching Workouts for Surfers ($29 Value
- Top 10 Surfing Foods + Healthy Recipes ($39 Value)
- Easy Surfing Fitness VIDEO Training ($85 Value)
$577 in Value!!! No Memberships, no recurring fees. One-time purchase for direct download.
Limited-Time Launch Special
Just $49 – that’s 92% OFF
Hi Troy! Just a quick feedback for you: Did your surf fitness program for 30 days to get fit for my Fiji surf trip. I have never been in a better shape. I combined your advice with drinking less, haha!! Never felt better. Cheers mate!
Steve, Sydney, Australia:
Hey Pete, thanks for getting in touch. Great program, lots of good advice. Been using your program for 4 months now and I feel really good.
Yo guys! Great surf program and the best investment I did all year. Keep up the good work.
I’m in my 50s and love to surf. Thanks to Easy Surfing Fitness program, I keep in shape all year and keep my body strong and ready for the yearly surf trip with my mates.
I’m not even halfway through the program, and I’m a better surfer than ever before. Who would have thought that a quality workout routine and good diet would help my surfing so much!
It wasn’t easy getting in shape after being out of water for a few months. Thanks to Easy Surfing Fitness program, I was in a great condition on the yearly Mentawai surf trip with my mates. Thank you!
Brian, Gold Coast
Hey Troy. This program is a great value for money, and I haven’t even read and applied all books. Halfway through, I have plenty of things to apply and this program already exceeded my expectations.
Probably the best surf program on the market, of all that I have tried. Love the video series, and the nutrition book is just a great bonus that you won’t find elsewhere.
Hey guys, just e-mailing you about my progress with the program. I’m up to Stage 2 and feeling fitter than ever!! Thank you a lot for your work and support.
Sean, Gold Coast
Cheers guys. Lots of quality info. Well organized. Heaps of goods exercises… I significantly improved my fitness after following Easy Surfing Fitness programs.ClickBank is the retailer of this product. CLICKBANK® is a registered trademark of Click Sales, Inc., a Delaware corporation located at 917 S. Lusk Street, Suite 200, Boise Idaho, 83706, USA and used by permission. ClickBank’s role as retailer does not constitute an endorsement, approval or review of this product or any claim, statement or opinion used in promotion of this product.