Happy Friday, surfing athlete.
Here are 2 additional surf mobility exercises to try this weekend.
You want to loosen up and restore full flexibility in your arms, legs and core between the surf sessions. Breath squats incorporate deep breathing and stretching into a simple yet effective routine that targets the whole body. Once you are warmed up, move on to Climber stretch with rotations, which adds some strength component to this routine.
If you like these exercises, you will love the full PRO Surfing Fitness Bluepring. Get it here.
BREATH SQUATS WITH REACH
- Take 3 deep breaths to full lung capacity.
- Hold on the 3rd breath and drop gradually into the full squat position.
- Touch the floor with your hands
- From the full squat position, exhale and drive up with the legs back as you stand up.
- Reach out with your hands to the sky as far as you can
- Take 3 deep breaths, Hold on the 3rd breath and drop gradually into the full squat position.
- Keep repeating this. Make sure you keep your back straight, core flexed and your glutes squeezed (this protects your back, as your body weight is supported by strong glutes and core, not your back)
CLIMBER STRETCH WITH ROTATIONS
- Start off in a strong push-up position: hands in a shoulder-wide position, legs are straight out, your back is flat and your neck is in line with your spine.
- Drive your right knee and foot forward so that your foot is next to your hands.
- Now out-stretch your left arm to the sky and take a deep breath in, hold the position for 5 seconds.
- Put your arm down and return to the push-up position.
- Now drive your left knee and foot forward, and repeat the out-stretch with your right hand.