If you are struggling with time and only have about 20 minutes to exercise today, here is a quick full-body workout that will challenge whole body: from your legs and balance through your core up to shoulders for better paddling and stronger stamina in water.
Start with a 5-minute warm-up. It can be a combination of the following:
- 1 minute jumping rope
- 1 minute star jumps
- 1 minute burpees
- and a light jog for 1 minute.
Take rest 20 seconds between each.
Here’s the main part.
Surf Fitness Workout
You will do a circuit of 4 exercises. Just like during the warm-up, you only take 15-20 seconds break to catch your breath. Repeat the circuit 3 times, then hit the showers and you are ready to tackle the day with energy and a great feeling after a quality workout.
1. BOSU Bodyweight Squats
This exercise will challenge all your tendons, joints, and muscles while forcing you to keep supreme balance. Good balance is the key to success if you want to enjoy longer rides and avoid wipeouts.
- Flip the BOSU upside down and slowly step on with feet, shoulder width apart.
- Keep your core tight, squeeze your glutes and keep your back straight.
- Squat down, bending at your knees.
- Perform slow and controlled squats while focusing on your balance and core stability.
- For extra challenge, hold your hands above your head as you squat.
2. Floor Y Raise
Target your shoulders and back with this simple but effective exercise:
- Begin this exercise lying on the mat, facing the floor.
- Hold your arms above floor, completely straight and at a 30 degree angle to your body, with your palms facing each other.
- Squeeze your core and glutes. Keep your back straight.
- Raise your arms as high as you can, then pause and slowly lower you’re back to the starting position. Make sure you do not touch the floor and keep the arms above it at all times while you perform this exercise.
3. Barbell Push Press
- Grab a barbell with an overhand grip that’s just a little wider than shoulder-width and hold it at your shoulder level in front of your body.
- Dip your knees as if you were standing up on a surfboard. This is your starting position.
- Next explosively push up with your legs as you press the barbell over your head. Exhale as you perform this part.
- Go down slowly to the starting position. Inhale as you lower the barbell. Go down in a slow & controlled motion until the barbell is at your shoulder level.
4. Alternating Leg Raises
This exercise will focus on your lower abdominal region. It will absolutely smash your abs if you perform it correctly.
- Squeeze your core and glutes.
- Using the muscles of your lower abdominals, raise your right leg with a slight bend at the knee until it is perpendicular with your body.
- In a controlled motion lower it back towards the floor – but stop before touching it, and repeat it with the other leg. (You are essentially bringing one leg up, lowering it, and then raising the other leg up and lowering it.)
- Make sure your legs do not touch the floor.
- Make sure you are keeping your lower back pressed against the floor.
- Slowly breathe in and out.
So again: Do 1 minute each, with 15 seconds break between each exercise. Repeat the whole circuit at least 3 times.
If you liked this quick workout, you will love Easy Surfing Fitness PRO Blueprint. Click here to download it.